Monday, October 26, 2009

patterns

It's only just occurred to me that I've been both getting more dissertation work done and completing more chores/tasks that are (seemingly) unrelated to dissertation work.

Item: creamy polenta with gorgonzola and mushrooms

Item: wine-braised lentils with winter greens and a poached egg

Item: scoured, sanitized countertops

Item: a scrubbed bathroom

Item: a refridgerator emptied of molding contents (ok, ok, i know!)

Item: on-time bill payment (ok, i look really bad/lazy at this point!)

Item: laundry put away within 1 day of washing

I'm cooking again, my apartment is cleaner, I'm even thinking of *gasp* exercising - and none of these things seriously diminishes my work output. In my head I know this. But when I'm not getting work done, I can hardly bring myself to take care of myself in other arenas of life - it feels as though I'm "cheating" on dissertation. Silly silly silly. It has just been suggested that, when I'm not getting work done, that I make myself cook and so push myself (from another direction, as it were) to do dissertation work too.

No comments: